Driving revenue is always top of mind for publishers, and in the midst of a pandemic, the pressure to create business value is even more pronounced. So it’s particularly timely to outline the website monetization opportunity made possible by Google Analytics 360 and Google Ad Manager 360 integration.
Publishers have a long history of creating value from their unique audiences – effectively monetizing their data to augment – if not singularly drive – their revenues. Google Ad Manager 360 makes it easy for not only publishers but also other types of businesses, to create an ad-supported revenue stream.
How it works:
- Brands with publishing or catalog features can sell inventory on their websites to advertisers using Google Ad Manager 360.
- Google Ad Manager Metrics (Impressions, Clicks, Revenue, and more) are brought into Google Analytics 360 alongside site data and allows for Ad Manager Reporting in GA360.
- Google Analytics 360 Audiences are shared to Google Ad Manager 360.
- Build audiences using GA360 events, dimensions & metrics, then share with Google Ad Manager 360 for improved personalized advertising opportunities for your advertisers.
The integration between Google Analytics 360 (GA360) and Google Ad Manager 360 makes it possible to create unique audience segments that can be sold to advertisers at a premium. Ads can be elegantly integrated into the site and created in a way that blends in with the look and feel of the brand for an improved user experience. Online retailers are catching on to this technique to create opportunities for an additional revenue stream. Whether through more traditional ad space on their digital properties, such as banners, or through partnerships with vendors and brands, delivering a more tailored and brand-specific experience on sites is a win for all parties.
The value of your Audiences
Early results show that publishers that put a focus on creating value from their unique audiences see an average CPM improvement of 17% and that organizations that take a planned approach with this technique can see double-digit CPM growth.
A large department store carries thousands of different brands from apparel to kitchenware, selling its wares both through its brick and mortar outlets and online. Online behaviour and performance data is collected in GA360 and augmented with data from the company’s CRM and Point of Sale systems through GA360’s data import feature with the online and offline data being linked together where possible.
This data is used to create robust audiences that are pushed into Google Ad Manager 360 and sold to brands that have their products available in the store. Imagine Lululemon ads running to the same audience that was viewing workout gear. These ads will appear based on the unique audience and location on your site a person visits. This powerful tactic is attractive to all – to advertisers who benefit from highly focused audiences, and to the retailer who sells the ads and is creating a custom, personalized experience for customers on their website.
Monetize your website in six steps
- Ensure that Google Analytics 360 is properly deployed and addresses the needs of key stakeholders. It all starts with good data.
- Integrate GA360 with Google Ad Manager 360
- Create initial set of audiences and push to Google Ad Manager 360
- Develop and maintain a roadmap of initiatives to help maximize the value of your data within marketing and ad sales efforts
- Augment existing Google Analytics data with automated first-party data imports from non-Google sources (ie: CRM, Subscription, etc). Use this first party data to:
- Create more advanced audiences based on online AND offline user information (phone/in-person touchpoints, lifetime value, customer type, and more).
- Conduct audience segmentation analysis
- Conduct other deep dive analysis of combined online/offline data for more valuable insights
- Create more personalized experiences for your users, such as with the integration of Google Analytics 360 and Google Optimize 360
- Create a program of continuous optimizations that incorporates learnings from analysis and testing and update your roadmap accordingly
What organizations are a best-fit for this solution?
Any organization that publishes or catalogs things like music, clothing, listings, etc. is a good candidate for monetizing their website user data. Traffic volume should be upward of 10k users per day to meet the statistical significance that advertisers are looking for. And you’ll need both Google Analytics 360 and Google Ad Manager 360 to facilitate the monetization of your web data. If your organization is the right fit, this solution could be win-win in that it speeds the path to using first-party data, personalizes your website experience with best-fit advertising, and creates a revenue stream.
Learn more about the integration and monetization of audiences: Schedule some time with a consultant to learn more about how Google Analytics 360 + Google Ad Manager 360 can help monetize your website.