VKI Studios (now Cardinal Path) recently started a Twitter account.
Some of you might be asking what is Twitter?
Wikipedia says: “Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service, that allows its users to send and read other users’ updates, otherwise known as tweets (which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length).
Updates are displayed on the user’s profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. The sender can restrict delivery to those in his or her circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default). Users can receive updates via the Twitter website, SMS…”
A lot of the Tweeting (postings to Twitter) that is going on out there is what I would consider exhaust data. That is information that I’m just not that interested in. Such as, “I’m taking my dog to the park”, “he just went to the bath room and you wouldn’t believe the size of @#@$ that I had to pick up”. But not all Tweeting is exhaust data,
and there is a lot of activity on Twitter that is all about business.
For those of you who know what Twitter is, but don’t know why anyone would use it, let alone for business let me provide some ideas.
Actively using a Twitter account for business will allow you to:
- have conversations with your mavens and early adopters who may be instrumental in promoting your business
- broadcast information about what is going on at your business
- listen to discussions that people are having who are using your product or service, or undertaking due diligence to select a vendor or product
- use http://search.twitter.com/ to keep an eye on what people are saying
- an example of how a corporation who was monitoring Twitter improved their customer service capabilities
- engage your customers in a conversation
connect with other thought leaders in your industry
- sell products
dell has sold hundreds of thousands of dollars through their Tweeting https://twitter.com/delloutlet
VKI Studios’ goal for it Tweeting is to start a dialog with the online marketing community focused around what we are doing at VKI Studios and what is going on in our industry.